Thursday, January 8, 2009

WHY ARE WE GOING ON THIS MISSION???

About a week ago, I sent an Email out to members of my two teams, and requested that each send me a paragraph or two in order to share with me and all the readers of our BLOG, just why each had decided to join the ROTARY DREAM TEAM - INDIA 2009. Below, I have included some of those paragraphs. In the coming days, as the date of departure from home gets closer, I will include more of these in this BLOG. I am so privileged to be working alongside Rotarians - people with passion to serve others.

This first one is from Past District Governor Jim Berg from San Antonio, Texas USA:

On the eve of my getting inoculations for the upcoming travel to India, I would offer the following: I have been a member of Rotary since 1976 and a most active Rotarian since 1994 when I was chosen to be the President of Club #52 in San Antonio. Over those 97 years various members have made a significant impact on the direction and goals of our large Club (~550 members)…for example, Harry Rogers in 1926 was an RI President from the Rotary Club of San Antonio. As one of the largest Clubs in the world and a leader in our District, our Club should set an example to ‘lead the way.’ So, this trip is a first sponsored from District 5840 and I am looking forward leading about 8 south Texas Rotarians toward fulfilling Rotary’s goal of eradicating polio. As a member of the Zone 26 Rotary Foundation team, I think it important to participate and bring back images so that contributions to the Foundation will have a local face on our international giving.

The next is from Rotarian Arlene Miller:

I have a couple of reasons for joining the Rotary Dream Team.
I have been on a couple of International projects with my Rotary Club and I
know the kind of positive change Rotary can and does make in this world. To
that end my daughter has an interest in being a part of a group that works
to enhance the lives of the less fortunate. International projects are an
incredible way to truly do service above self.


Next comes Club President Cassandra Bradley, from the Rotary Club of Laconia, New Hampshire, USA:

I have chosen to join the “Dream Team” this year to participate in Rotary’s mission to eradicate Polio as well as help the less fortunate live healthier and more sustaining lives. I have been doing humanitarian work both in the United States as well as in developing countries and find each experience to be both fulfilling and life changing. This work makes me proud to be a Rotarian it’s what we do and who we are. I hope that as in every other experience I make new friends and acquaintances and leave India knowing that we made a difference.

Next is from John and Judy Hutcherson:

We believe that peace and prosperity in the world comes from friendship, relationships, education, and understanding. Rotary’s core belief is a commitment to service and world peace. This NID trip is an opportunity to continue to spread peace and friendship to a remote place in the world. It is these small acts on the part of many that bring positive change in the world. Polio is almost gone!!!!!!!!!!! Over the past few years we have been to Russia, Mexico, and our local prisons to extend friendship.(Judy has been to Afghanistan and Guatemala as well). Coming to India is another tiny step. It will be great to meet this exciting team for our work. On the more selfish side, India is an economic engine we must understand as this world is flatter and our economies more interdependent.

Finally, for today at least, is a message from Ken and Lois Horton:

We have had several members of our Rotary Club travel to India to assist with Rotary’s initiative to help rid the world of polio. Our club has been very active in contributing towards this endeavour, and we both made donations as well. Last year, four of our members traveled to India with the 2008 Dream Team and unfortunately, we were unable to go with them. During 2008, a Canadian, Ramish Ferris, who was born in India, bicycled across Canada to raise money for polio sufferers. 75% of the proceeds for his Cycle to walk campaign were donated to Polio Plus, and Rotary Clubs across Canada helped by hosting fund-raisers and accommodating his team as they traveled. I (Lois) am currently the President of our local club and feel a huge commitment to this cause. I am also most interested in helping the village of Chahalka after seeing the photos of last year’s group and learning of the needs of the people. We love to travel and want to learn more about the people of India and interact with fellow Rotarians to help in other parts of the world.

We would like to hope that this will be one of the last NID that will be needed to eradicate polio, and would be quite pleased if it will be so.
Last year’s group was so enthusiastic about the “Dream Team”, we thought that it would be exciting to find out for ourselves.


Stay tuned for more...

No comments:

Post a Comment